2014 National Festival Information
Festival Dates: June 4-7, 2014
Performance Dates: June 5-7, 2014
Performances take place at 2:00pm and 7:30pm at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. More information will be posted as it becomes available in Spring 2014.
National College Dance Festival Policies
- In a National Festival year a fully produced Gala Concert comprised of adjudicated works must be presented at each regional conference.
- In a National Festival year, Gala Concert program for adjudicators will have no identifying information beyond title, premiere year, and composer.
- The pieces chosen for the National Festival will be selected from those performed in the Gala Concert.
- All National Festival selections must be made following the regional Gala Concert to allow for a second viewing and for pieces to be presented with full technical support.
- All rules listed in “Adjudication Policies for Participating Schools” apply to works selected for the National Festival.
- Selection of works for the National Festival is the responsibility of the adjudicators.
- ACDFA strongly believes that overall excellence is the most important criterion in selecting dances for National Festival concerts. Quality of both performance and choreography must be considered for students and faculty/guest artist work.
- In National Festival years, the number of selections made from the regional Gala Concert for presentation at the national festival is based on the number of pieces being adjudicated. The Conference Coordinator will inform the adjudicators of this number and any other rules guiding National Festival selection.
- No more than one work from any one institution may be selected for the National Festival.
- Each conference may select one or two alternate works.
- Works must be selected for the National Festival in their entirety as performed for adjudication with no requirements for editing.
- An Executive Committee member or approved substitute must review decisions regarding the National Festivals prior to their announcement.
- ACDFA/Dance Magazine Award Nominations: Every student choreographer with a work in the National Festival is a nominee for the Outstanding Student Choreography Award. Every student performer at the National Festival is a nominee for the Outstanding Student Performer Award. A panel at the National Festival will select one recipient for each award.
- In a National Festival year a high quality, accurate, color videotape or DVD documentation of the Gala Concert shall be provided by each Conference Coordinator. Appropriately labeled tapes or DVD’s and a Gala program must be sent to the National Office immediately following the conference.
- Video waivers must be secured from the choreographers of works appearing in a Gala Concert and sent with the videotape directly to the National Office. These video waivers may be secured during the first meeting with choreographers after the announcement of the Gala Concert participants. All tapes and DVD’s will become the property of the American College Dance Festival Association Archives