2014 National Festival Information
Performance Dates: June 5-7, 2014
Performances take place at 2:00pm and 7:30pm at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. Tickets will be available for purchase on April 21, 2014 through the Kennedy Center Box Office. Participating schools will be listed below as information becomes available.
From the EAST-CENTRAL CONFERENCE:
Hissy Fits, Wayne State University Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance
Uterus = Hysteria, Eastern Michigan University
From the MID-ATLANTIC CONFERENCE:
Acquiring Dawn, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
From the NEW ENGLAND CONFERENCE:
Phenomena, The Boston Conservatory
Before/After, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Impolite Society, Northwestern University
From the NORTHEAST CONFERENCE:
From the NORTHWEST CONFERENCE:
From the SOUTH CONFERENCE:
The Need to Be, Alabama State University
The Grid, Sam Houston State University
Beyond This, Florida State University
From the WEST CONFERENCE:
Conference Policies for the National Festival
- In a National Festival year, a fully produced Gala Concert comprised of adjudicated works must be presented.
- In a National Festival year, Gala Concert program for adjudicators will have no identifying information beyond title, premiere year, and music.
- The pieces chosen for the National Festival will be selected from those performed in the Gala Concert.
- All National Festival selections must be made following the regional Gala Concert to allow for a second viewing and for pieces to be presented with full technical support.
- All rules listed in “Adjudication Policies for Participating Schools” apply to works selected for the National Festival.
- Selection of works for the National Festival is the responsibility of the adjudicators.
- ACDFA strongly believes that overall excellence is the most important criterion in selecting dances for National Festival concerts. Quality of both performance and choreography must be considered for students and faculty/guest artist work.
- In National Festival years, the number of selections made from the regional Gala Concert for presentation at the National Festival is based on the number of pieces being adjudicated. The Executive Committee Representative will inform the adjudicators of this number and any other rules guiding National Festival selection.
- Adjudicators may also select one or two alternate works.
- No more than one work from any one institution may be selected for the National Festival.
- Works must be selected for the National Festival in their entirety as performed for adjudication with no requirements for editing.
- An Executive Committee member or approved substitute must review decisions regarding the National Festivals prior to their announcement.
- National Festival Selections will not be announced until after the conference has concluded. They will be posted on the conference website within 24 hours after the conference concludes.
- A high quality, accurate, color DVD documentation of the Gala Concert shall be provided by each Conference Coordinator. Appropriately labeled DVDs and a Gala program must be sent to the National Office immediately following the conference.
- Video waivers must be secured from the choreographers of works appearing in a Gala Concert and sent with the DVD directly to the National Office. Video waivers should be collected for all adjudicated works; only waivers for the dances in the Gala Concert should be forwarded to the national office. All DVDs will become the property of the American College Dance Festival Association Archives